Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat

From: ng0
Subject: Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 20:50:05 +0000

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> Hi Maxim,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > I asked this question on the freenode #icecat channel yesterday, but
> > didn't get a response, so I'm forwarding it here.
> >
> > Is there a way to install dictionaries for IceCat? When I right-click in
> > a text box and choose 'Add Dictionaries', it brings me here:
> > http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/. If I then go to the installation page
> > and try to install the French (France) dictionary, I get: The add-on
> > downloaded from this site could not be installed because it appears to
> > be corrupt.
> >
> > IIUC, the spell checker used by Icecat is Hunspell. We don't seem to
> > have any hunspell dictionary packaged in Guix. Has anyone got a hold of
> > this?
>
> That’s a very good question.  I’ve noticed before that that
> spell-checking in IceCat didn’t work and that’s a serious problem from a
> UX viewpoint.
>
> Looking at Hunspell’s home page, it looks like we should build
> dictionary packages from what’s at
> <https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/dictionaries/tree/>, no?
>
> Ludo’.

From what I remember with my more recent chats with Jookia, we
are also supposed to push for "ASPELL_DICTIONARY_PATH" and similar
one for HUNSPELL or something like that in applications.

The default is to just bundle/copy in as far as I remember it.

I can ask Jookia again how we as Nix and Guix are supposed to proceed
from what Jookia learned. There were some relevant Nix bugtickets if
you want to look into that.

On a related note: do we not need the language packs of Icecat?
So far I have almost every system in english, but I was wondering
this since I know mozilla and fork projects around them work
with language packs for the software builds.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588