Re: How to install a GuixSD desktop?

From: maze
Subject: Re: How to install a GuixSD desktop?
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2017 18:24:59 +0200

Am 2017-08-04 23:49, schrieb Mekeor Melire:
Welcome to Guix-community, Martin!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I use slim as login-manager which is GuixSD's default.  I modified the
xorg-configuration in my system-configuration like this:

    (slim-service
        #:startx (xorg-start-command
            #:configuration-file (xorg-configuration-file
                #:extra-config (list
                    ;; touchpad
                    "Section \"InputClass\""
                    "  Identifier \"touchpad catchall\""
                    "  Driver \"synaptics\""
                    "  MatchIsTouchpad \"on\""
                    "  Option \"MaxTapMove\" \"231\""
                    ;; natural scrolling
                    "  Option \"VertScrollDelta\" \"-200\""
                    "  Option \"HorizScrollDelta\" \"-200\""
                    "  Option \"HorizTwoFingerScroll\" \"1\""
                    "  Option \"TouchpadOff\" \"0\""
                    "  Option \"TapButton1\" \"1\""
                    "  Option \"TapButton2\" \"2\""
                    "EndSection"))))

Right, that at least allows using tap-to-click. But it still prevents me from using libinput-gestures[ยน] for multi-touch gestures.

That's why I tried forcing the touchpad to use the libinput driver through an additional configuration block similar to yours. But that doesn't work - the synaptics driver is taking control of the touchpad nonetheless. So I have to get rid of the synaptics driver altogether.

I really think the xf86-synaptics driver can be removed altogether. libinput's touchpad support has become very good, if not superior, over the last years.

3) I need to develop a few new packages for my needs. Is there a way to add additional package sources so I can conveniently use my own packages
alongside the ones provides in the official Guix repo?

Yes. Use the GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH variable which is documented in the
manual, in chapter 6.6:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Package-Modules.html#Package-Modules

Good luck!

Thanks!