Re: Enable modules in Linux configuration.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Enable modules in Linux configuration.
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 07:57:11 -0400

Hi again,

Dmitry Nikolaev <address@hidden> writes:

> How do I enable Reiser4 module in Linux configuration? As far as I
> know I need to add "REISER4_FS=m" to .config after running "make
> defconfig", but before "make".

Sorry, I realize that I didn't answer this question in my last message.
It might be sufficient to merely add "REISER4_FS=m" to

  gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/<version>-<arch>.conf

in the Guix source tree.  However, if there are other configuration
options that need to be changed to accommodate Reiser4, then this might
not be enough.

The more general method is to unpack a copy of the linux-libre source
tree, copy the appropriate config file from the Guix source tree to
.config in the top-level linux-libre source, run "make oldconfig" (or
whichever *config target you prefer) to update the config, and then copy
the updated .config file back to the Guix source tree.

A good way to unpack the source is to run "guix build -S linux-libre"
(or your own variant package), and then "tar xf" on the returned file
name.

A good way to make sure you have the necessary software in your
environment to run "make oldconfig" is to run "guix environment
linux-libre" and then work within the spawned shell.

      Mark