Re: various packaging issues

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: various packaging issues
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:09:04 +0200

Dave Love <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Honestly it’s unclear to me that this would bring much to
>> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html>
>> and related sections.
>
> I'm seeing it from the point of view of view of someone who's quite
> experienced with Fedora and Debian packaging and has past experience of
> Scheme, but not Guile, and doesn't have time to become an expert.  I'm
> guessing I'm not so unusual, but maybe that's wrong.
>
> Some things which are documented aren't very easy to spot.  For others
> it seems as if you have to go looking for examples.  I think would help
> considerably if they were compared as idioms explicitly with what you'd
> do for Fedora, in particular (to the extent there are correspondences).
> Although doing a simple program initially was quite easy, I've struggled
> with a fairly straightforward library which is just the first step to
> provide openfabrics interfaces.
>
> I'll have a go at writing down a few things when I have a chance; they
> may turn out to be based on misconceptions, but that's worth finding
> out.  This is meant to be constructive, of course!

Sure, that would be useful!  I may lack hindsight to determine what
should be added or restructured in the manual to be readily useful.

I wrote “Defining Packages” for an audience relatively new to packaging
(or so I thought) and to Scheme.  We updated it based on feedback, but a
fresh look at it can certainly lead to improvements.

Ludo’.