Re: various packaging issues

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: various packaging issues
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 15:38:26 +0100

> Honestly it’s unclear to me that this would bring much to
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html>
> and related sections.

I'm seeing it from the point of view of view of someone who's quite
experienced with Fedora and Debian packaging and has past experience of
Scheme, but not Guile, and doesn't have time to become an expert.  I'm
guessing I'm not so unusual, but maybe that's wrong.

Some things which are documented aren't very easy to spot.  For others
it seems as if you have to go looking for examples.  I think would help
considerably if they were compared as idioms explicitly with what you'd
do for Fedora, in particular (to the extent there are correspondences).
Although doing a simple program initially was quite easy, I've struggled
with a fairly straightforward library which is just the first step to
provide openfabrics interfaces.

I'll have a go at writing down a few things when I have a chance; they
may turn out to be based on misconceptions, but that's worth finding
out.  This is meant to be constructive, of course!

> Call it propaganda if you want,

Apologies, that wasn't badly; I'm used to any sort of
why-you-should-use-it material being called "propaganda" non-seriously,
even if I wrote it.

--
The ultimate computing slogan is "Your Mileage May Vary".
  -- Richard O'Keefe