Re: many 404s for substitutes

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: many 404s for substitutes
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 23:53:17 +0200

Hi,

Dave Love <address@hidden> skribis:

> I've had many 404s for substitutes, both from mirror.hydra.gnu.org and
> hydra itself.  This means that I can't, for instance, install the Guix
> version of Emacs, because with --fallback it runs out of the ~1GB I have
> in TMPDIR while trying to run cmake tests.  [I'm surprised that
> installing Emacs pulls in on things like subversion and cmake.]
>
> I've tried over a couple of days.  Is there a workaround that?  (I
> looked for a way to turn off the build checks, at least.)

Part of the 404s you’ve seen are due to a server misconfiguration issue
on hydra.gnu.org fixed today.  They should be resolved progressively.
For instance
<https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/guix/nar/gzip/34qpj0aw01m5x673c5j4kmys7psfl85s-emacs-25.2>
(Emacs x86_64, current master) is 200 right now.

A temporary workaround is to use
--substitute-urls=https://hydra.gnu.org, which can trigger a
regeneration of the missing archives.  However use with care because
that poor machine is already loaded.

HTH,
Ludo’.