many 404s for substitutes

From: Dave Love
Subject: many 404s for substitutes
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 18:16:42 +0100

I've had many 404s for substitutes, both from mirror.hydra.gnu.org and
hydra itself.  This means that I can't, for instance, install the Guix
version of Emacs, because with --fallback it runs out of the ~1GB I have
in TMPDIR while trying to run cmake tests.  [I'm surprised that
installing Emacs pulls in on things like subversion and cmake.]

I've tried over a couple of days.  Is there a workaround that?  (I
looked for a way to turn off the build checks, at least.)