Re: Package Installation takes a very long time - normal?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Package Installation takes a very long time - normal?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 16:18:25 -0400

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 08:28:15PM +0100, Niall Dooley wrote:
> Yes, of course. Plus at the end I meant it wouldn't be the first time in my
> case of user error.
>
> I'm running Guix 20170710.15 as I did a `guix pull' this afternoon so I
> presume the most recent build. I'm currently trying to install several R
> related packages (only just started after my first mail) so I'll report back
> how long it takes. The command I've used is as follows:
>
> guix package -i r-caret r-ggplot2 r-rpart r-e1071 r-randomforest r-rocr
> r-class
>
> As I type my terminal window is churning away but occasionally it pauses
> seemingly doing nothing and then it will again start churning posting the
> various messages. It's certainly past the initial updating of the
> substitutes and
> downloading phase. If I had to guess based on the messages I can catch it is
> currently installing various *source* packages.

It sounds like you are building some packages from source rather than
downloading pre-built substitutes.

It's possible these packages have been built on our build farm but not
yet available on the caching mirror. When you request a substitute from
the mirror that is not cached, the mirror will return 404 while checking
if it's available from the build farm.

So, sometimes it's enough to wait a few minutes after the 404 response
and then try again; the mirror might have populated itself in the
meantime. Otherwise, we don't have these packages built currently, and
you'll need to build them yourself.