Re: Specify patches for packages with local source

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Specify patches for packages with local source
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 22:10:01 +0300

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 11:00:18PM +0200, Mekeor Melire wrote:
> Is it possible to specify patches for packages with local source?
>
> The `local-file` declaration doesn't allow a `patches` declaration.
> Therefore, I'm guessing I'd have to use `origin`. But I'm not sure
> whether either (method git-fetch) or (method url-fetch) allow to specify
> a local path?
>
> The manual states:
>
>     URL-FETCH from ‘(guix download)’
>          download a file from the HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP URL
>          specified in the ‘uri’ field;
>
> But is "file://" also supported? Can I write something as follows?
>
>     (define-public own-st
>         (package
>             (inherit st)
>             (source
>                 (origin
>                     (method url-fetch)
>                     (uri        "/path/to/st") ; like this ← ?
>                    ;(uri "file:///path/to/st") ; or like this ← ?
>                    (patches …)))))

I used to have a package with a patch. From my main GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH I
had the patch toplevel, although I suppose it shouldn't matter. To the
package module I added and import of (gnu packages) and for the patches
field I had the standard (patches (search-patches "my-patch.patch"))

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר