Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 17:39:40 +0200 (CEST)

From: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 14:47:47 +0200

Strangely, after creating a ~/.xsession file, I wasn't able to log in to my gnome session anymore (though I didn't investigate this further
and just deleted ~/.xsession again).

Maybe you forgot “chmod +x ~/.xsession”?

Obviously I did, case closed ;-)

What did work was to create a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart.
I've attached it here for future reference ;-)

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Screensaver
Type=Application
Exec=xscreensaver -nosplash

Interesting, I wonder what piece of software reads this file.  Maybe
xfce-session and gnome-session?

I don't know, but apparently it's a freedesktop standard.

https://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html

Another method: if you create a .desktop file in one of the standard locations (don't know by heart where those are, some subdirectory of /etc, and there's a directory somewhere in $HOME, too, I think), the application will be available as a choice in the 'Startup Applications' menu of gnome-tweak-tool.

Thomas