Re: failed to resolve partition “my-root”

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: failed to resolve partition “my-root”
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 23:54:40 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Linux appears to boot but then fails with “failed to resolve partition
>>> "my-root"”.  I suspect that something in (gnu build file-systems) is
>>> broken.  koosha on IRC previously reported a similar problem.
>>
>> “cat /proc/partitions” shows that only the ram* devices are listed.
>> None of the hard disk partitions are listed.  Also, in the rescue REPL I
>> don’t see any disk under /dev/.
>>
>> So (gnu build file-systems) works as it should.  Curious.
>>
>> When I boot with the USB stick, however, /dev/sda (the USB disk) and
>> /dev/sdb (the hard disk) both exist.
>>
>> I’m guessing that it’s a problem with the initrd; some missing kernel
>> module maybe.  Is there a way to regenerate the initrd without having to
>> reinstall the whole system?  I’m willing to fall back to my old ways of
>> manipulating things in the store just to get this thing booted soon.
>> (I’ll ask for forgiveness later.)
>
> I fixed this by re-init-ing the system with a tiny change to the
> operating system definition:

>   (initrd (lambda (fs . args)
>             (apply base-initrd fs
>                    #:extra-modules (list "sata_nv")
>                    args)))
>
> The module is needed because this is an NVIDIA disk controller.

Maybe we could add all disk drivers to the base initrd image?

$ du -h $(guix build linux-libre 2>/dev/null)/lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/ata
1.3M
/gnu/store/b7nk7glwlrjk8fnw4g7zylzlx7g2f6jd-linux-libre-4.11.6/lib/modules/4.11.6-gnu/kernel/drivers/ata

That doesn't sound too much to me and will save many users some trouble.