Re: I installed GuixSD on my laptop

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: I installed GuixSD on my laptop
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 13:15:40 +0200

On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 10:53:24PM +0200, nee wrote:
> Hello everyone, a few months ago I installed GuixSD 0.12 in a luks
> encrypted partition on my laptop. Here are some problems I have with it
> so far.
>
> […]
>
> 5. I've been using thunderbird with Enigmail previously. I think I read
> on irc that icedove would be the way to go, and that it hasn't been
> packaged yet.
> Enigmail is really neat, so I wouldn't want to be without it.

I tried to package Evolution once, but I had problems: It only worked
when it was the last installed package. I believe it’s not the only
GNOME package sufering from this issue. I still want to try again when
I have some more time to learn Guix…

That said, I switched to Mutt and am happy with it. Seems much better
than Enigmail because it makes clear which parts of a message are
signed. I’m not sure though if Thunderbird Enigmail can spit out this
information somehow too.

> * An unrelated story:
> I had to install GuixSD twice, because I forgot to punch "(dependencies
> mapped-devices)" into my file-system configuration.
> So shepard would not boot up properly and after some time I got a guile
> debug repl.
> I see that this is my own fault, for not reading the docs properly.
> I hope the new ncurses installer will help to prevent such mistakes.

Probably this should be verified by Guix before GuixSD gets installed.

> * Not a problem: Touchpad works different
> My first observation was that the touchpad was not working correctly.
> The touchpad only works for mouse movement.
> Clicking by tapping any point on the pad does not work.
> Scrolling by moving down/up the right edge does not work.
>
> I use the hardware buttons below it for clicking, but I wonder, aren't
> there some laptops without those?
> Later I found out that scrolling works with two fingers and this whole
> setup is actually much better, since I do way less misclicks that way!
>
> * xf86-input-synaptics?
> Because I previously tried nixos I directly installed
> xf86-input-synaptics with my installation. I never tried to use my
> system without it. If it is required it should be mentioned in the docs.

No. Libinput should be used. Not Synaptics. Synaptics is
obsolete. Libinput does not get used on my GuixSD GNOME either though;
I believe it still uses Synaptics. My GNOME also does not use Wayland
yet, but Xfce does not even support Wayland AFAIK…

Regards,
Florian