Re: I installed GuixSD on my laptop

From: ng0
Subject: Re: I installed GuixSD on my laptop
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 22:57:38 +0000

Hi nee, I just have a quick reply to some of the points below.

Good night!

nee transcribed 2.9K bytes:
> Hello everyone, a few months ago I installed GuixSD 0.12 in a luks
> encrypted partition on my laptop. Here are some problems I have with it
> so far.
>
> 1. How do I set the locale in the login manager and Grub.
> I have a German keyboard, but the system boots with an english
> key-setting and only changes when I enter gnome or xfce (I had to set
> them up via their guis). Is there any GuixSD-level setting for this? The
> install manual didn't mention it.
> It's a real pain to enter my password like this.

This is a feature-bug in SLiM and whatever this other login manager is called.
I reported a bug on this, and a partial workaround exists. I hope that
lightdm can deal with this better. More on the solution either tomorrow or
by someone else in the meantime.

> 2. I have to enter my disk-encryption-password two times on every boot.
> Once before grub and one time when shepard boots up. I have my
> bootloader on a diferent drive, might this be related to the issue?

This also happens when it is just on one drive. I think there exist
cryptsetup solutions with detached heads etc which make this easier
to deal with. I haven't tested it in practice.

> 3. When I enter one wrong password on the first disk-encryption-prompt
> (before grub) I get thrown into a grub console. It should give me a few
> more tries.
>
> 4. ibus is not working in xfce. I copied the paths from the popup of
> ibus-setup into my .bashrc, but even after login out, I couldn't get any
> program to actually use ibus. I also had no success in gnome later. I
> was trying to get Japanease input to work.

Can you report a bug on this or check if there's a bug already reported for it?
I'm also looking to update the whole lot of XFCE, but this might not solve
your problem.

--
ng0
OpenPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588