Re: offload daemon

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: offload daemon
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 22:33:54 +0200

Hello,

James Richardson <address@hidden> skribis:

> I am trying to setup an offload daemon.
>
> I have everything setup correctly (I think ;)
>
> $ guix offload test completes successfully.
>
> The offload daemon is actually guix on a foreign distro (Debian sid in
> this case).
>
> Neither guix running on top of a Debian (sid and jessie) nor guixsd seem
> to even call out to the offload daemon. All boxen are 64.
>
> My /etc/guix/machines.scm is here
>
> (list (build-machine
>        (name "thor.lab01.jamestechnotes.com")
>        (system "x86_64-linux")
>        (host-key "ssh-ed25519
> AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIJf0ezYgeVFit40VJwaBEW1dGm2Xz+SHzVmib8IbN58y
> address@hidden")
>        (user "guix")
>        (speed 1.)
>        (private-key
>       (string-append (getenv "HOME")
>                      "/.ssh/identity-for-guix"))))
>
> Is x86_64-linux the proper system type?

Yes.

There are several things to consider here.  By default, guix-daemon
creates a single job, so that single job will end up being built
locally, unless you spawn, say, two “guix build” commands in parallel
(the number of jobs is per client.)

Running “guix-daemon --max-jobs=0” should force all builds to be
offloaded:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix_002ddaemon.html

I *think* “guix build --max-jobs=0” should give the same result.

Alternately, if you run “guix build --max-jobs=2”, presumably half of
the builds will be offloaded.

Let us know if that works for you.

Ludo’.