Re: Basic Emacs setup

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: Basic Emacs setup
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 15:17:34 +0200

I've never been an Emacs user so I'm out of my league when it comes to writing up a basic .emacs for guix-emacs, debbugs-gnu and whatever else I might need/want for workig with patches. Assuming my .emacs is completely empty can someone help me out with a snippet/config to work with guix?

Assuming you mean to run Emacs on GuixSD, there's not so much to configure

You just install the emacs related packages in your profile (emacs-debbugs, emacs-guix and maybe emacs-hydra)

This is the ONLY piece of guix related configuration I have in my .emacs file

(with-eval-after-load 'debbugs-gnu
  (add-to-list 'debbugs-gnu-all-packages "guix-patches"))

that's it

It might be useful to conigure an Emacs based email client, to conveniently process patches.

That is something I still lack, but at least this is enough to see patches in Emacs

Not related to guix but very useful Emacs usage tips are: an appropriate theme, a dark one and an appropriate set of fonts. That can dramatically improve your Emacs experience

I use the zenburn theme (there are more that are at least as cool as zenburn) and the Source Code Pro fonts. So:

(set-frame-font "Source Code Pro-20" nil t)
(load-theme 'zenburn) ;; zenburn has to be installed too, of course

As for scheme code this is a little trick but this also improves the experience greatly

(show-paren-mode)

You might want to use smartparens (to move balanced blocks of code)
I should update it, the version in Guix is quite old. I didn't yet, out of lazyness :-/
But you can use it anyway. Even old versions can be useful

That's it, on my side ;-)