Re: is it me ?

From: Amirouche
Subject: Re: is it me ?
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 15:48:17 +0200

Le 03/05/2017 à 21:08, myglc2 a écrit :
On 05/03/2017 at 18:05 Catonano writes:

  As it stands, your video is a great sanity check for someone wondering
  if their emacs-guix environment is working properly. It is also a great
  demonstration of how easy it is for a guix user to see and, with a git
  checkout, modify a package.

  If you expanded it a bit to illustrate a few
  more guix-edit/geiser features, it could be a great addition to the
  guix-video-verse, and, IMO, a good thing to add to www.gnu.or

Which eatures, exactly, you would like to be showed ?
How about a scenario like this, all done from within emacs-guix running
against a git checkout ...

- find a package

- install it

- observe how it is working

- consider changing a config flag

- 'M-x Guix edit <package>'

- download the source: 'C-u . s'

- copy the package source out of the store (there is probably a better
   thing to do here)

- in <package> source: './configure --help' to see config options

- 'M-x Guix edit <package>' & modify #:configure-flags

- build the package: 'C-u . b'

- install the new version

- verify the package behavior has changed

- commit the change

- produce a potential guix patch

Note: I am not a 'M-x guix-edit' "daily driver". I hope others who are
will comment/improve the outline.

ISTM this scenario is useful because ...

1) it shows the control that guix gives to users

2) a knowledgeable <package> user can follow it to help improve how
    <package> runs in guix.

HTH - George

+1