Re: mumble issues with pulseaudio

From: ng0
Subject: Re: mumble issues with pulseaudio
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 15:46:13 +0000

ng0 transcribed 1.6K bytes:
> Ludovic Courtès transcribed 0.9K bytes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:
> >
> > > The bug is, you have to close every possible open application which
> > > could make use of sound input/output (webbrowser, IM, etc) then shake
> > > the random dice pair and hope that Mumble detected your sound devices.
> > > If it didn't, you have to wait some seconds and restart Mumble and
> > > repeat it until your sound devices appear to be working.
> > > This is annoying and can leave you with the impression that it doesn't
> > > work - but it does work.
> >
> > Could it be that Mumble does *not* use PulseAudio, but instead attempts
> > to use ALSA directly?
>
> It was listed as a dependency (if I remember correctly). When I start
> mumble, it appears under 'Applications' and 'All Streams' but not
> 'Virtual Streams'. I avoided getting into pulseaudio for a long time, so
> I can only guess (and read up on the topic).
> A clear sign that it does use pulseaudio would be references in the
> source code, messages in standard output / log with reference to
> pulseaudio, and what else?

This is the output just shortly after boot, ran pavucontrol before it:

address@hidden ~]$ mumble
CELT bitstream 8000000b from
/gnu/store/04nqixbnmv29v1nzansp50ppa5gdza4q-mumble-1.2.19/lib/mumble/libcelt0.so.0.7.0
CELT bitstream 80000010 from
/gnu/store/04nqixbnmv29v1nzansp50ppa5gdza4q-mumble-1.2.19/lib/mumble/libcelt0.so.0.11.0
Locale is "en_US" (System: "en_US")
TextToSpeech: Failed to contact speech dispatcher.
Database SQLite: "3.7.7.1"
Overlay: Listening on "/home/user/.MumbleOverlayPipe"
GlobalShortcutX: Using XI2 2.3
AudioInput: 40000 bits/s, 48000 hz, 480 sample
PulseAudio: Starting input alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
PulseAudio: Starting output: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
AudioOutput: Initialized 1 channel 44100 hz mixer
AudioInput: Initialized mixer for 1 channel 44100 hz mic and 0 channel
48000 hz echo
warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite