Re: GuixSD installation: binary vs source packages

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GuixSD installation: binary vs source packages
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 11:59:51 +0100

Hello,

Alex Vestgaard <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have one question regarding the installation process, which other people on
> #guix could not answer. How can I determine what packages will be installed
> from source and compiled vs just binaries fetched from Hydra?
>
> I tried the --dry-run for guix package -i and guix build, but I didn't find
> this very informative.

Normally --dry-run should give a good overview of what will be
downloaded and what will be built.

However, in the presence of “grafts”, it may be that additional things
will be downloaded or built without you being notified beforehand.

I consider this a bug but we don’t have an easy fix at this stage.

Thanks,
Ludo’.