Re: GuixSD installation: binary vs source packages

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: GuixSD installation: binary vs source packages
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 10:52:36 -0500

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 09:01:39PM -0500, myglc2 wrote:
> In my practical experience of running a GuixSD headless server for the
> last 12 months, if you use 'guix pull', which is effectively a rolling
> release, there is no way to tell.

The default action of `guix pull` is like a rolling release, but you can
also use it to deploy any version or Git commit of Guix, using `guix
pull --url=...`:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=8a9cffb202414b20081910115ba76402924bdcdd

You still can't be sure that we will have binary substitutes for every
package. I just wanted to point out this little-known feature of `guix
pull`, which gives Guix users some more flexibility without requiring
them to maintain a Guix development environment.