Re: Package Installation Queries

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Package Installation Queries
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 13:14:23 +0100

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 10:36:54PM +0100, Niall Dooley wrote:
> I see but how often does one need to run 'guix pull' to ensure they install
> the latest available packages. Running it now installs guix as explained in
> the manual but it doesn't explain how often one needs to run it.

It depends on your answer to the security / stability trade-off.

You can bet that any update of C software includes important bug fixes
(and other language "ecosystems" are probably not much better). Only a
few exploitable bugs are discovered by their authors or "named" with
CVEs.

Of course, each update brings new bugs, but hopefully it takes a little
while to find them and invent exploits.