Re: how do I config freeipmi SOL (serial over LAN)?

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: how do I config freeipmi SOL (serial over LAN)?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 19:48:41 -0500

On 01/23/2017 at 18:40 Marius Bakke writes:

> myglc2 <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I am using freeipmi on a headless GuixSD server.
>>
>> I have SOL (serial over LAN) working to where 'ipmiconsole' shows the
>> BIOS config and "Welcome to GRUB!" but nothing more.
>>
>> It seems I need to configure Grub and the Kernel to send output to SOL.
>
> Hi George,
>
> You probably need to pass the "console" argument to Linux command line.
> If your IPMI SOL device is "/dev/ttyUSB0", try adding a
> "kernel-arguments" like this in your guixSD configuration:
>
>   (kernel-arguments '("console=ttyUSB0"))
>
> ...not sure how to make Grub output to a serial console.
>
> Hope this helps!

It did. I ended up with ...

 (kernel-arguments '("console=tty0 console=ttyS1,115200"))

... which leaves the local console active _and_ ships a copy over SOL.

This captures the boot messages when something awful happens and they
don't end up in /var/log. And if/when Guix punts into the REPL, I can
interact with it remotely. YEAH!

Many Thanks! - George