Re: How to install guix without root permission

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: How to install guix without root permission
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 16:18:09 +0100

rohit yadav <address@hidden> skribis:

> ​Thanks for the reply. ​The proot (https://proot-me.github.io/) project
> allows you to map $HOME/gnu/store to /gnu/store etc. However, where I am
> struggling is the guixbuild users and group creation, and running guix
> daemon.

Yes, though PRoot relies on syscall interception using ptrace(2), which
is inefficient (which may or may not be a problem, depending on the
application).

> I am using kernel 4+, which supports namespaces.

Yes, but some distributions compile it out or turn it off by default.
See
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/environment.scm#n517>,
for a way to check whether user namespaces are enabled.

> This reminds if there is any effort to provide a lxc container for
> guixSD.

Not that I know of, but I don’t think it would help the non-root use
case.

Ludo’.