Re: Seeking advice: preparing releases on GuixSD.

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Seeking advice: preparing releases on GuixSD.
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 16:34:55 +0000

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

>>> That made it sound like there are countless references that need to be
>>> corrected somehow.
>>
>> Well in 7.52.0 there are more than 1 reference to /gnu/store, and
>> in 7.52.1 there were more than in 7.52.0 simply because I did not
>> have the time to investigate what's wrong now.
>
> If you did what I did on GuixSD (exact sequence in my previous email) I
> don’t see how there could have been any more references to store items.

More or less, the tl;dr of updates right now is:
old=7_50_1
new=7_50_2
git checkout upstream/master; git pull; git checkout -b gnurl-$new curl-$new #
tag of desired version
git cherry-pick `git log gnurl-$old | head -n 1 | cut -c8-`
git mergetool # or whatever needs to be used to fix the broken ones
git cherry-pick --continue

# run the guix-gnurl.scm to test.

./buildconf
./configure --enable-ipv6 --with-gnutls --without-libssh2 --without-libmetalink
\
--without-winidn --without-librtmp --without-nghttp2 --without-nss
--without-cyassl \
--without-polarssl --without-ssl --without-winssl --without-darwinssl
--disable-sspi \
--disable-ntlm-wb --disable-ldap --disable-rtsp --disable-dict --disable-telnet
--disable-tftp \
--disable-pop3 --disable-imap --disable-smtp --disable-gopher \
--disable-file --disable-ftp --disable-smb
make
make clean

git push -f origin gnurl-$new:master
git diff HEAD^ HEAD >..&gnurl-$new.diff
cp -a . ../gnurl-$new
cd ..
rm -rf gnurl-$new/.git
tar cjf gnurl-$new.tar.bz2 gnurl-$new
rm -rf gnurl-$new
gpg --detach-sig gnurl-$new.tar.bz2
# login to gnunet.org and upload them

Where some parts of this manual procedure have been changed now.
I'll try a simple `make dist` next time.

I will compare my nroff or whatever it was called package with
yours and see if there's anything left to add, if you think it
should go into guix, it's good for me.

>>> “ltmain.sh” is instantiated from a template by libtool.  It originally
>>> contains a /bin/sh shebang, and I think it should not be patched when
>>> installed to
>>
>> So I can assume that just changing the shebang in ltmain.sh back
>> to /bin/sh is enough to make it distributable again, or is
>> ltmain.sh something distributions have anyway and the local file
>> is "just there"?
>
> ltmain.sh is included by “make dist”, so it’s supposed to be
> distributed.  One of the big ideas of autotools is that users don’t have
> to have autotools to build a release tarball.
>
> --
> Ricardo
>
> GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
> http://elephly.net

So the changed shebang in the ltmain.sh is a bug on my side or in
the autotools in Guix? I'm not looking at the sources right now,
but I think I could simply add a line (for make dist) which
changes the shebang back to /bin/sh before assembling the
tarball. After all it's just a shebang.

--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
PGP keys and more: https://n0is.noblogs.org/ http://ng0.chaosnet.org