Re: Network Manager Service

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Network Manager Service
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 22:55:15 -0800

> Hello!
>
> address@hidden skribis:
>
>> On 2016-12-01 06:06, Chris Marusich wrote:
>>
>>> I tried this unsuccessfully.  When I check the box ('Make available to
>>> other users') and then hit the "Apply" button, a window pops up asking
>>> me to enter the password for the "Administrator".  My account has sudo
>>> permission, so I tried typing in the password I use when I run sudo.
>>> However, that didn't work (the authentication apparently failed), so I
>>> wasn't able to set the option.
>>
>> Chris, try typing the root password.
>
> So what’s the conclusion here?
>
> If Network Manager works as expected, we should consider adding it to
> ‘%desktop-services’.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

I would like to test this more, but my system is busy running "guix
system reconfigure", and it doesn't look like it'll finish any time
soon.  Shame on me for running "guix pull" first!  Heh.

Anyway, I will test this and get back to you before the end of the
weekend.  I don't think "type the root password" is a great work-around,
since on my machines, I prefer not to give root a password, and rely on
sudo instead.  Network Manager ought to be able to automatically connect
to a wireless network; there must be a reason why the authentication
(for checking the "automatically connect" box) is not working, but I
don't know what it is yet.

--
Chris