Re: After installing Java, what should I set JAVA_HOME to?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: After installing Java, what should I set JAVA_HOME to?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:59:08 +0100

Hello Zachary,

Zachary Kanfer <address@hidden> skribis:

> This is like inventing a new recipe, and requiring that all diners at your
> restaurant eschew forks while eating the meal.
>
> Having to switch the way I *use* installed packages is a /significant/
> downside to using Guix.

I think we all agree here that Guix shouldn’t force you to use a
different kind of fork.  ;-)

In general, using a package installed with Guix doesn’t involve any
changes, apart from extra settings if you’re using Guix on a “foreign
distros”¹.

I don’t understand the Java situation well enough, but if there’s
something that forces you to “use a different kind of fork”, then it’s
either a bug or missing documentation in Guix.  That is, you should
definitely be able to use Gradle if that is what you want to do.

Now, I understand that there’s no Gradle package in Guix yet, Ricardo’s
email discusses this issue.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

¹ https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html