Re: GuixSD and TRAMP

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GuixSD and TRAMP
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 23:00:35 +0200

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ho-ho, it turns out the snippet Ludo pasted me on IRC was the answer
> after all:
>
>   ;; Make sure we work on remote guixsd machines :)
>   ;; probably only helps if you start on a guixsd machine..!
>   (setq tramp-remote-path
>         (append tramp-remote-path
>                 '(tramp-own-remote-path)))

Good to know!

Should we patch Emacs or something so that it works by default?

IIRC Tramp invokes ‘getconf PATH’ on the remote machine, which is
totally useless on GuixSD and hardly fixable:

  $ getconf PATH
  /bin:/usr/bin

(For the record, it returns the value of libc’s ‘_PATH_DEFPATH’
constant, which doesn’t make much sense on non-FHS systems.)

Ludo’.