Re: "--pure" won't work

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: "--pure" won't work
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 23:33:53 +0200

Amirouche, David,

On 2016-10-04 22:42, Catonano wrote:
In exploring Culturia, here

https://github.com/amirouche/Culturia/ [1]

I reach this line

guix environment --ad-hoc --pure guile-next

Both with and without --pure works on my side. I don't remember why I've
put --pure in the README.

I use ubuntu 16.04.1, I have this in my ~/.zshrc

export PATH="/home/amirouche/.guix-profile/bin":$PATH
export GUIX_LOCPATH=~/.guix-profile/lib/locale
export GUILE_LOAD_PATH="/home/amirouche/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.2${GUILE_LOAD_PATH:+:}$GUILE_LOAD_PATH"
export GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH="/home/amirouche/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.2${GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH:+:}$GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH"
export INFOPATH="/home/amirouche/.guix-profile/share/info${INFOPATH:+:}$INFOPATH"

Thanks to the both of you

David's answer was a bit terse althought straight to the point

Just to widen the discussion a bit, yes, in order to have basic commands in a "pure" environment, even ls, they need to be explicitly included (either with the --ad-hoc clause or because they're dependencies of some of the packages you're creating the env for)

In fact

guix environment --pure --ad-hoc guile-next --search-paths

will show the "bin" that'll be included in the environment path. Just ls that bin folder and you'll find nothing more than the guile-next dependencies. No ls, no lesspipe, no dircolors

On this, David's was assuming that I had read the manual already ;-)

Now, as for the reason why ls, lesspipe and dircolors get called, David is right: the default .bashrc is full of stuff, it's a page long.

So those "errors" are harmless. The resulting environment will be perfectly functional for Culturia to be explored ;-)

Thanks again !