Re: Documentation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 12:43:48 +0200

Vincent Legoll <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> Or maybe I'm very bad at info, always found its interface weird...
>>
>> I'm not sure, I actually don't use `info` very much either. Maybe your
>> GuixSD installation has not been updated since the relevant text was
>> added to the manual?
>
> I regularly do guix pull && guix system reconfigure, like earlier today...
>
> Isn't that enough ?
>
> Which package contains this documentation ?

It contains the documentation of the currently-packaged Guix snapshot:

$ guix package -A guix
guix    0.11.0  out     gnu/packages/package-management.scm:71:2
guix    0.11.0-1.4420   out     gnu/packages/package-management.scm:216:4

We update the snapshot once every few weeks.

Eventually ‘guix pull’ will be able to update guix.info; it doesn’t do
that currently, which is a problem as you noticed.

>>> $ ./configure --localstatedir=/var
>>> configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in
>>> build-aux "."/build-aux
>>
>> Sorry, I forgot the first step, `./bootstrap`, which is mentioned here:
>
> OK, after ./bootstrap, now ./configure --localstatedir=/var works, but not:
>
> $ make doc/guix.html

Try “make && make html”.

However, I think you should try ‘info’ again.  The interface is not any
weirder than that of a browser after all, see “info info”.  :-)

Ludo’.