Re: OS doesn't see the partitions after reboot

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: OS doesn't see the partitions after reboot
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:16:40 +0200

Hi, and sorry for the late reply!

dt <address@hidden> skribis:

> 1) The USB is /dev/sda while HDD is /dev/sdb during the installation,
> but after reboot HDD becomes /dev/sda.
> How do I set the device for the bootloader and swap partition without
> using device tree name (/dev/sdX)?

Use a device label, as suggested at:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Preparing-for-Installation.html#Disk-Partitioning

The config file you posted does use partition labels, as in:

  (file-system
    (title 'label)
    (device "root")
    …)

Could it be that the partitions actually carry a different label?  You
can check that by running ‘e2label /dev/sdX’.

HTH!

Ludo’.