Several questions on Guix(SD)

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Several questions on Guix(SD)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 22:53:50 +0200

Dear list,

since I watched that LibrePlanet video on GuixSD, I installed it in a
QEMU environment and I'm very fascinated about it. It's a nice concept,
having package management the functional and FSDG way. And that concept
is reality. It works!

I'm trying to learn to use and understand the system, and found out
several things for myself or through documentation or other people's
question on the list. But there is a lot left which I would like to ask
here. I hope it is not too much:

 * Do you have the concept of package maintainers, like in Debian?
   People who are responsible for each package, apply patches, etc?

 * Are there "recommmended"/"sugggested" dependencies? For example,
   diffoscope complained that "'readelf' is not on the path. Falling
   back to binary comparison." That could be a candidate for a package
   not needed at compile/runtime but that would enhance the usage if
   present.

 * I have for example in my store:
   * /gnu/store/abc...-tar-1.29/
   * /gnu/store/xyz...-tar-1.29/

   Can I somehow figure out what's the differnce between them, how
   they came into the system, which one is "newer"? I tried diffoscope
   and found some marginal, crypted hex-differences.

 * Can I somehow get a store history? I.e. a (ordered) list of
   installation progress. "ls -ltr /gnu/store" was my first try
   but it obviously fails.

 * Is there a log for the deamon? I only found the
   "/var/log/guix/drvs", which seam to be only logs of each compilation.
   BTW, what do the two letters of the subfolders mean?

 * Is there a list of builds available that are not reproducible? Or is
   that (eq? _ '()) ?

 * Are any other Hydra instances running other than the GNU ones that
   could be challenged?

 * If I would like to set up my own Hydra server, how much storage space
   takes the whole hydra-archive of substitutes (for each platform)? Or
   only the %base-packages?

 * How much time takes it to recompile all packages in Hydra?

Thank you in advance,

Björn