Re: exploring the code

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: exploring the code
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 14:31:49 +0200

Catonano <address@hidden> skribis:

> I opened the file guix/scripts/build.scm in Emacs
>
> For Geiser to be able to jump to the definition of a symbol at point
> or to open a documentation buffer, I need the Guile REPL to "load" the
> file
>
> C-x C-b does the trick, but I see this error in the REPL, then
>
> http://paste.lisp.org/display/320775

I use C-c C-k (geiser-compile-current-buffer), which works well for me.
Not sure what the problem is here.

> After that, many symbols become available anyway: I can jump to their
> definition and I can have doc buffers popping up
>
> All but one: "options->derivations" on line 670

Works for me after C-c C-k.  :-)

Could you try this and report back?  It’s a good idea to pre-build Guix
before, using ‘make’, so that Geiser doesn’t end up recompiling
everything.

> I'm doing this because I'd like to redo in the REPL what the command
> "guix build blah" does. At least some parts of it
>
> In order to make it less abstract in my mind, to get aquainted with
> the build subsystem. I need to see some procedures called and
> returning something, I need to see macros expanded.
>
> I hope you understand
>
> If anyone can suggest a better way to get aquainted with the build
> subsystem I'm all ears.

I think you’re right, it’s a very good idea to explore Guix this way.
This is more or less the approach I took in
<https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/misc/2016-01__GNU_Guix__Your_Distro_is_a_Scheme_Library.webm>,
so you might find it useful (you might also have suggestions on how to
improve this talk, which would be more than welcome!).

HTH,
Ludo’.