Re: GuixSD on arm

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GuixSD on arm
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 10:23:07 +0200

Howdy Jookia,

Jookia <address@hidden> skribis:

> - Patches would get lost regularly.

Lack of responsiveness is terrible, but I think it’s easy to complain
about it until one gets involved in patch reviews.

Also, some reviews are more difficult than other: adding support for
another bootloader is not as simple as upgrading a package.

> - GNUness over pragmatism.
>
> The main issue I had with doing an ARM port is the bootloader, and this is
> because everyone I spoke to except Ludovic seemed to be hesitant towards
> using a
> bootloader other than GRUB.

I wrote repeatedly that using U-Boot is fine, especially if GRUB doesn’t
work on this platform.

> I have a distinct feeling this is due to a bias in building "the GNU system"
> rather than building a fully free Guix-based system.

There is this bias, which makes a difference from most other distros.  I
don’t think I/we are blind though: when GNU lacks the right piece of
software, using another free software package is the right thing to do.

> This experience has put me off of Guix, GNU and free software development.

I think you’re throwing the baby with the bathwater.

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.