Re: General Question: Execution of binaries not built for GuixSD

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: General Question: Execution of binaries not built for GuixSD
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:44:27 -0400

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 7:21 PM, christoph vogelsberg
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a fresh installation of GuixSD and I'm keen of learning more. I
> struggle with a concept and don't know how to circumvent best:
>
> Binaries built for ordinary Linux's (as, in my case, Firefox Developer
> Edition) expect libraries on certain standard pathes which doesn't exist on
> GuixSD. I found three possibilities that might work:

To be clear, an "ordinary" GNU/Linux system is one which uses the
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, which GuixSD deliberately does not
conform to.

> * use fakechroot to make my user profile a pseudo root (disadvantage: I have
> no experience, it seams there is no package for that)
> * create symbolic links (disadvantage: new builts get a new path with a hash
> value and must be re-linked properly)
> * install a minimal Linux and use Guix instead of GuixSD (disadvantage: this
> would the point where I had capitulated)
>
> My question: is there an already elabored way, documentation and so on, for
> this specific problem?

The solution is to build the software from source to produce a binary
that is compatible with GuixSD.  Guix has a GNU Icecat package that
may provide a good base for this.

HTH,

- Dave