Re: Creating new package for Guix - newbie's question

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Creating new package for Guix - newbie's question
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 21:19:04 -0400

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 05:24:37PM -0400, Matthew Jordan wrote:
> Here is what I do atm for developing packages.

That is a very complete list of things to do :)

> Build
> $ ./bootstrap
> $ ./configure --localstate=/var

That should be --localstatedir=/var

> $ make
> $ make check

It should be enough to bootstrap, configure, and make check from the Git
checkout, and then this...

> $ ./pre-inst-env guix build hello &>/dev/stdout &>${BUILD_LOG}

... should be enough to get you started. Although, you don't need to
create your own build log. It is made available with `guix build
--log-file`.  Making your own log is useful if you want to capture the
log of a failing build.

If you don't have all the dependencies you need to `make` Guix, do `guix
environment guix` to add the dependencies of Guix to your environment.

> $ ./pre-inst-env guix lint hello

Please do this before sending the patch to guix-devel ;)