Re: Developing on two machines

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Developing on two machines
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 22:03:06 +0200

Hi!

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm alternately working on my desktop and my laptop, synchronizing data
> between these tow machines. Now after installing some guix packages on
> the laptop (but not on the desktop), running
>
> ./pre-inst-env guix build ...
>
> gives me the error
>
> ./pre-inst-env: …/scripts/guix: /gnu/store/cpxwg…-profile/bin/guile: bad
> interpreter: No such file or directory
>
> Well, the message is obvious: The profile which is hard-coded into
> scripts/guix does not exist on this machine. As an work-around I'm using
> ./pre-inst-env guile script/guix build ....
>
> But I wonder if there is another solution?!

You could either rerun ./configure on the machine, so that it
substitutes the shebang with the right file name for ‘guile’.

Alternately, you could copy the profile from the first machine to the
second one, along the lines of the example at:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-archive.html

In addition, you would need to make
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/$USER/guix-profile-XXX-link point to the
imported profile (currently this has to be done manually.)

HTH!

Ludo’.