environments

From: Catonano
Subject: environments
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:27:02 +0200

I understand that environments are for developing projects installing dependencies in a separate space in order not to clutter the main installation.

Say I want to work on a ruby based project. This is an hypothesis, actually I have never seen a single line of ruby code in my life

Now, this project has a gem file downloading tons of components that the project depends on.

Is it possible to type

guix environment ruby

then inside such an environment run bundler (or how it is called) and have it do its thing ?

It will download to the local project folder not trying to affect anything outside the project, right ?