Re: guix installed Emacs

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: guix installed Emacs
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:23:28 +0300

Catonano (2016-04-16 20:59 +0300) wrote:

> Alex,
>
> thank you so much for your help

No problem :)

[...]
> Yes, the Fedora Emacs has this site-start
>
> ;;; loaded before user's ".emacs" file and default.el
>
> ;; load *.el and *.elc in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d on
> startup
> (mapc
>  'load
>  (delete-dups
>   (mapcar 'file-name-sans-extension
>           (directory-files
>            "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d" t "\\.elc?\\
> '"))))
> (setq source-directory "/usr/share/emacs/24.5/")

Aha, so it loads elisp files from that "site-start.d" directory.  I
wonder what files are placed there.  Could you look and show their
contents please?

> and the Guix Emacs has
>
> (require 'guix-emacs nil t)

Right, this is used to find emacs packages in "~/.guix-profile".  So,
for example, if you do "guix package -i magit", next time you run Guix's
Emacs, it will automatically find magit package, so you can use "M-x
magit-status" right away.

>     OK, so Fedora's Emacs has a bigger font (19 against 13).
>
>     You can use something like this to set the font and its size:
>
>       (set-frame-font "DejaVu Sans Mono-15" nil t)
>
> you were spot on on this ! In fact evaluating this line made the Guix
> Emacs window exactly equal to the one of the Fedora Emacs !

OK, note that I used "Mono" font while you probably prefer just "DejaVu
Sans".

> Also the Fedora Emacs keeps being a bit brighter

You know, I have another thought about this problem.  Perhaps you use
different versions of zenburn theme: like, for example, you installed
one using Fedora (which is loaded when you run Fedora's Emacs), and also
you installed another zenburn using Emacs package system (and it is
loaded by Guix's Emacs).  Could you look at 'load-path' variable ("C-h v
load-path") and check if there are several ".../zenburn..." directories.

Or better, look if zenburn is listed at "M-x list-load-path-shadows".

Also check the value of 'custom-enabled-themes'.

> But that's not that bad ! The showstopper was the tiny tiny
> minibuffer

OK, at least this is solved now :-)

> And if that's a mistery to you, go figure what it is to me ;-)

He-he :-)

--
Alex