Re: Typing on GuixSD in languages other than English

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Typing on GuixSD in languages other than English
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 22:37:48 -0700

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> writes:

>> Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> The attached patches add anthy and ibus-anthy.  They build OK.
>> However,
>> Japanese input is not yet working for me.  In fact, ibus itself does
>> not
>> seem to be working at all.
>>
>> How can I verify that ibus is working on its own?  I've tried
>> installing
>> ibus by itself into my profile.  When I do this, I can run ibus-setup,
>> and I see a "Japanese" language input option.  This is true even when
>> anthy and ibus-anthy are not installed, which surprised me. I had
>> expected to find no Japanese language input options at all in
>> ibus-setup
>> when anthy and ibus-anthy are not installed.
>>
>> In GNOME, there is no ibus menu visible anywhere on my screen, so it is
>> unclear whether ibus is actually working.  When I open Gedit and press
>> <Super>+Space, my input method does not seem to change.  According to
>> ibus-setup, this hotkey should change my input method.  However, it
>> seems like ibus is just not working at all.
>
> FWIW, this is what I do on Debian 8 (with GNOME SHELL):
>
> - Install ibus, ibus-anthy (or ibus-mozc).
> - Restart the system.
> - Go to *System settings → Region & Language*.
> - Add *Japanese (Anthy)* in Input method.

"Japanese (Anthy)" does not show up as an input method.  There are a
variety of entries (which are present regardless of whether ibus, anthy,
or ibus-anthy are installed), and none of them mention "Anthy".

> After this, you should see the language icon in the top-right corner
> of the desktop. For example, if your current keyboard layout is
> English, you'll see the *en* language code with a little triangle to
> the right. Click there or use Super+Space to alternate between
> languages.

When I select one of the Japanese language input methods via the above
method (e.g., the one that's just called "Japanese"), I do in fact see a
little icon in the upper right that I can toggle between "en" and "ja"
using <Super>+Space.  However, this just seems to shuffle around the
keymap for my keyboard.  It does not actually let me input any kana or
convert anything into kanji.

> And thank you very mucho for the patches, I'm going to need Anthy when
> I install GuixSD :)

I hope we can get it working!  Thank you for your assistance.

--
Chris