Guix unmounted my /home, while -i hello

From: guix
Subject: Guix unmounted my /home, while -i hello
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 11:21:04 +0100

Hello,

Problem: during installation of -i hello package, my /home was
unmounted. I have no solution more to test Guix on Debian GNU/Linux and
I am seeking one, to later change to Guix, free GNU operating system.

Information:

While researching Guix, guile based package manager and GuixSD, I have stumbled
upon this link:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27281429/does-guile-have-a-package-manager/28028212#28028212

and there is a reference to this link:
http://dustycloud.org/blog/guix-package-manager-without-make-install/

My environment is like this:

- Debian GNU/Linux Jessie
- iceWM window manager
- zsh as shell I use usually, but first time this happened on bash
- first time I used bash

My system is mounted as LUKS on /home:

$ mount |grep mapper
/dev/mapper/protected on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

otherwise, there is also normal /home/admin directory, when computer is
turned of without encryption. In that manner, it becomes harder to
understand that /home is encrypted.

With encrypted partition under /home, I have this symbolic link if it
means anything:

ls -l /home/
total 36
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root     15 Apr 12  2014 admin -> data1/protected
drwxr-xr-x  5 root  root   4096 Jan 27  2012 data1

I have installed Guix as specified on the last link above in the
directory: /home/data1/protected/Programming/GNU

All commands specified I have run correctly, as on the link.

The last few commands were:

sudo ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guix-builder

And I left it in separate terminal window. I could see that user admin
connected to it, later.

After that, I have run the command:

./pre-inst-env guix package -i hello

and it started installing packages. Many many, I was thinking it works
nice. During one package (under bash, if it means anything), which I
cannot remember which one, I have seen that basically, I could not open
new terminal, I could not copy/paste with mouse anymore, my windows were
open, mutt was open, but I could not read email anymore, tmp was
missing, basically complete system broker apparently.

I could make "cd", but then I could see all my important files were
missing. Here is the list of standard directories in my
/home/data1/protected:

Active
Apps
bin
Choices
Desktop
Documents
downloads
Downloads
iMacros
install-letsencrypt
lib
Maildir
Music
Pictures
Programming
public_html
Templates
tmp
Videos
Work

BUT that is not what I could see, I could see the standard directories,
like Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Templates -- something like that.

I guess I was seeing my directories when /dev/mapper/protected was not
mounted. The standard ones.

I cannot understand how system could unmount my /home

Because I was unable to run new programs, or make screenshots, the only
thing I could do is make a pastebin.com and write it down.

Here it is, the last what happened:
http://pastebin.com/HvnTP8PY

One can see:
error: executing
`/home/data1/protected/Programming/GNU/guix/nix/scripts/substitute': No such
file or directory

That is because just before that, the system unmounted /home somehow.

because:

ls -l /home/data1/protected/Programming/GNU/guix/nix/scripts/substitute
-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin admin 254 Mar  7 08:32
/home/data1/protected/Programming/GNU/guix/nix/scripts/substitute

I am also showing what I could copy, on that pastebin, like daemon
running. But I run it before I started -i hello

It also shows that no /dev/mapper is mounted

But it shall look like this rather:

/dev/mapper/protected 845953752 454552936 348405736  57% /home

and not like /dev/sda7 -- that is empty, with those directories inside.

I wish that it is discovered what happened, as for me, with /home being
mounted, I cannot test guix, not in the manner as specified.

Jean Louis