Re: Gnome-shell metapackage

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Gnome-shell metapackage
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 17:17:16 +0100

address@hidden (宋文武) skribis:

> "d.4.n.1" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I try again and work it! gnome-shell on guixsd! I'll help to add more
>> packages to it. thanks ludo, David and all guix devs.
> That's great to know!
>>
>> Sent from my Mi phone
>> On address@hidden, Jan 7, 2016 11:15 AM wrote:
>>
>>         Hello!
>>
>>     address@hidden skribis:
>>
>>     > do you think about create a metapackage to gnome-shell?
>>
>>     I think 宋文武 is kinda looking into it (or should consider
>>     looking into
>>     it). :-)
> Yeah, comparing with the 'gnome-core' meta package from debian,
> useful packages are still missing, or maybe we should just add what
> we have now and complete it gradually?

Yes, I think we could start with whatever we have and then augment it.

It would be nice to release a 0.9.1 soonish that would include GDM and
GNOME-Shell (and NM.)

>>     > How do I change slim/wicd to gdm/networkmanager?
>>
>>     There’s no GuixSD service for GDM yet, but that’s another thing we
>>     should look into it soon.
> GDM can't start the X server (it hardcode /usr/bin/X, etc.) now, my plan
> is to add an 'xorg-service' for '/run/setuid-programs/X' and then patch
> GDM to use that instead.

Shouldn’t we do something like ‘slim-service’ does, i.e., give GDM the
name of the X server program via a config file or whatever?

Having /run/setuid-programs/X is likely to be insufficient because X
needs to be passed an xorg.conf file that specifies the search path for
Xorg modules, etc.

>>     宋文武, I noticed that ‘network-manager-service’ is undocumented
>>     in the
>>     manual; could you add it under “Networking”?
> OK, will do it.

Great, thanks!

Ludo’.