Cross-compile the GSL for Arm Cortex M4

From: Jonas Bilal
Subject: Cross-compile the GSL for Arm Cortex M4
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 20:35:33 +0000

Dear Sir or Mam,

my name is Jonas Bilal, and I am a master student at a university of applied
science (the FHNW). At the same time, I am working for the FHNW in parallel.

However, for my work and master project, I am using the GSL Library for the
firmware of an MCU (a STM32 Board with Arm Cortex M4). To cross-compile the GSL
with arm-none-ebi-gcc I build up a little toolchain from the GNU-Toolchain as
described here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cross-compiling-gcc-toolchain-arm-cortex-m-processors-ijaz-ahmad
[https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/image/C5612AQE6AYINXANYFg/article-cover_image-shrink_600_2000/0/1552584786918?e=1648080000&v=beta&t=GsZQ_ZU3fMtyr3rJTarT4nwKTKaLQX92ilrjQM479fI]<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cross-compiling-gcc-toolchain-arm-cortex-m-processors-ijaz-ahmad>
Cross-Compiling GCC Toolchain for ARM Cortex-M
Processors<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cross-compiling-gcc-toolchain-arm-cortex-m-processors-ijaz-ahmad>
A toolchain is a set of tools that compiles source code into executables that
can run on your target device. A toolchain normally consists of a compiler, a
linker, and run-time libraries.
www.linkedin.com

Unfortunately, it did not work, and I always got from the linker the message
"error adding symbols: file format not recognized". I already asked in
StackOverflow and searched on the internet (for over a week) with no result. I
did try virtually everything.

Do you have any advice for me on how to cross-compile the gsl for the arm
cortex m4? I would be very happy with every idea.

I have attached my bash script for cross-compiling if needed.

I would be very happy for any help.

Thank you very much.

Best regards
Jonas