Re: [Help-gsl] Complex QR decomposition

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Complex QR decomposition
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 20:46:15 -0600

Dear Christian,

  Thank you for following up, and I apologize for taking so long to get
back to you. I have looked at your patch and added the complex QR
routines, with some modifications. The main one is I have deprecated the
complex_householder_hm function because it is based on Level-1 BLAS
operations which are quite slow. I have made a new function
complex_householder_left() which uses Level-2 BLAS, at the cost of
requiring extra workspace. The end result is that the tau parameter to
QR_decomp must be length N, instead of MIN(M,N) now.

I have made a similar change to the real QR_decomp function, in a way
which is backward compatible with the current interface.

I updated the docs and put everything on the git now.

Ultimately, I would like to implement the Level-3 BLAS QR algorithm from
Elmroth and Gustavson (which is already implemented for the real case),
since the current Level-2 code is quite slow for larger matrices which
are routinely encountered in research. I hope to get around to this
soon, or if you are interested, please go ahead and try to implement it.

Thanks again for the delay,
Patrick