Re: GSL - GNU Scientific Library for Mac

From: Mark Galassi
Subject: Re: GSL - GNU Scientific Library for Mac
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 11:53:43 -0600

Charlotte, thanks for using GSL!

I agree with those who suggest using a gnu/linux distribution for all
computing, and especially for scientific software development.  But if
you are stuck with macos then there are a few packaging systems that
offer GSL.

The two most used proper packaging systems on macs are homebrew, where
you will find:

https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/gsl

and macports, where you will find:

https://ports.macports.org/port/gsl/summary

But also note that these packaging systems are barely needed for gsl
because we have designed it to have minimal requirements.  You should be
able to download the source tarball from

https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/

and follow the instructions in the INSTALL file: it's the usual
"./configure" and "make -j n_cores install" procedure.

If your own program still does not find the GSL header files then you
will need to get comfortable with the compiler -I flag to specify the
directory in which you installed GSL's headers, and the linker's -L flag
to tell it where the libraries were installed.

Since details of compiling might be noise on this list, feel free to
write individual email once it gets down to those details.