Re: survey about compiler toolchain used on Windows

From: jeremy theler
Subject: Re: survey about compiler toolchain used on Windows
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 20:28:39 -0300

>From GNU Coding Standards https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html

Section 5.5

As for systems that are not like Unix, such as MSDOS, Windows, VMS, MVS,
and older Macintosh systems, supporting them is often a lot of work. When
that is the case, it is better to spend your time adding features that will
be useful on GNU and GNU/Linux, rather than on supporting other
incompatible systems.

Section 5.6

Whether to support Mingw64, and Windows in general, in your package is your
choice. The GNU Project doesn’t say you have any responsibility to do so.
Our goal is to replace proprietary systems, including Windows, not to
enhance them. If people pressure you to make your program run on Windows,
and you are not interested, you can respond with, “Switch to GNU/Linux —
your freedom depends on it.”

--
jeremy theler
www.seamplex.com