Re: [Help-gsl] Understanding 'ftol' in nonlinear-least-squares fitter

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Understanding 'ftol' in nonlinear-least-squares fitter
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 00:46:13 +0000

Hello. Only xtol and gtol are currently used by
gsl_multifit_nlinear_test(). You can see the code here:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gsl.git/tree/multifit_nlinear/convergence.c

I made a stub for ftol as well, because the book by Dennis and Schnabel
talks about a test for testing the residual vector (see comment (3) in
the header of that function). However, in practice I found that test
wasn't as useful as the xtol and gtol tests, so it is currently disabled.

Also, xtol does not measure distance to the initial guess. It measures
the distance from the previous iteration - so if the step vector is
small relative to the current position, the iteration will stop.

Patrick