Re: [Help-gsl] New documentation format

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] New documentation format
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 12:23:38 -0600

Hello Mohammad,

Thank you for the links - it is impressive what you've accomplished with texinfo for your manual. I decided on sphinx for a few reasons:

1. Out of the box support for equations and images in HTML - I like what you've done with texinfo on this front but still texinfo doesn't natively support this without your modifications. 2. Modern PDF output - sphinx generates a linkable TOC and in-document links which makes it easy to navigate the PDF output - texinfo doesn't put any links in the PDF documents 3. The native source format for sphinx is much simpler and easier to read than texinfo 4. Sphinx is currently being actively developed - I don't think texinfo currently is

Also to answer your question, sphinx is able to produce info output, so we will be providing info files with GSL - this is something many users need so we made sure sphinx could do this before switching.

Patrick