Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 11:09:40 +0900

1. Is anyone out there using GSL besides me? :-)

The GNU Astronomy Utilities (Gnuastro) extensively use GSL,
for example the the FFT routines (for convolution), the
random number generators (for making simulated noise or
random sampling). GSL is a great asset and we hope to use
it much more as Gnuastro grows and evolves, it is still
in its infancy. Thanks for the great work.

2. What functionality would you like to see added to GSL?

Nothing special in the short term.

3. Are you willing to develop and contribute the features you want?

Ofcourse.

Gnuastro also has internal libraries for managing common
functions to more than one utility. We are planning to
convert them (and other useful functions) to shared/installable
libraries to be used by the astronomers (currently Gnuastro only
installs executables) in their separate programming projects. We
will use GSL's model for the creation of those libraries.

If the libraries might be useful for the larger (non-astronomer)
community of scientists, then we would be happy to move those
libraries to GSL after they have been used/tested in Gnuastro and
passed the tests of the GSL maintainers. Since Gnuastro links to GSL
anyway, it won't make any difference for us where those libraries are
positioned.

4. Would you like to see a quick release of GSL v2.0, or are you content
to work off the git repository?

In the short term (while Gnuastro is still under heavy development),
the official release of GSL is the best for us. Gnuastro's programs
link to GSL which has to be installed by Gnuastro's users separately.
So as others have already mentioned, we will have to rely on the released
versions, not the git repo. So more frequent releases would be better
for us.

Thanks a lot for the great effort in managing this wonderful and very
fundamental library.

Mohammad