Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linear least squares, webpages and the next release
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:59:29 -0600

On 10/23/2015 10:45 AM, Brian Hawkins wrote:
I use GSL in some radar signal processing code.  I use the array containers
and routines for linear algebra, zero finding, optimization, and
B-splines.  The B-splines are only practical for my problems if I use a
sparse solver; currently I rely on csparse to solve the B-spline fits, so
it'd be great to have that functionality in GSL.

The current git repository has support for sparse matrices, including a GMRES linear systems solver. The sparse matrix structures are heavily based on the CSparse library, but I think they're a little more user friendly. I would be very interested to hear feedback from people using sparse matrices in their work. The GMRES solver works pretty well, but it doesn't have a preconditioner implemented so it may not converge as quickly as your current CSparse implementation.

I second the desire for C99 complex types; it's much more convenient to
write arithmetic than a bunch of function calls or type casts.  Making the
array containers more flexible might be worthwhile, too. Numpy allows
arbitrary byte strides on each axis, which lets you do cool things like get
a vector view of structured data (e.g., the real part of a complex
vector).  However, I understand there might be performance concerns.

I much prefer regular releases to relying on a git tree of unknown
maturity.  Also, even though GSL is pretty easy to compile, it's still
simpler to use a package manager, especially when deploying virtual
machines.