Re: [Help-gsl] Using GSL to draw a 2D B-Spline path using unevenly space

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Using GSL to draw a 2D B-Spline path using unevenly spaced points
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:28:22 +0200

The basic idea behind breakpoints is you want to have a sufficient
amount of data in between your breakpoints to properly constrain the
B-spline coefficients during the least-squares inversion. Also if you
know your function changes rapidly in some regions and not others, you
can add more knots to those areas.

If you have lots of (scattered) data in the whole interval, you can
start with uniform knots and see how it goes. If, however, your function
is sparsely sampled in some places you'll want to pick your breakpoints
to have enough data in each interval.

GSL does not currently support 2D B-splines. For 2D scattered data
interpolation, one method which isn't too difficult to code is radial
basis functions (see Numerical Recipes for an introduction). I know
someone is working on a GSL extension for RBFs but its not ready yet.

Patrick