Re: [Help-gsl] Compiling & Testing New Interpolation Type

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Compiling & Testing New Interpolation Type
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:22:43 -0600

I did notice you talking about 1.6 in your earlier messages, but assumed it was a typo and you meant 1.16, oops.

On 03/20/2014 11:11 AM, Jean-François Caron wrote:

My original problem was that I wanted to add an interpolation type to GSL.
Specifically I want monotonic cubic-splines following the description in
Steffen (1990): http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1990A%26A...239..443S

I took a quick look at your code earlier and it looks pretty nice. I noticed you commented out the _integ function - is this something you could add to make it feature complete with the other interpolation types?

It is important to add automated tests for this. Can you look at interpolation/test.c and design similar tests for your new method? Also I think it would be nice to add a figure to the manual illustrating the differences between cubic, akima, and your new steffen method (similar to the figures in the Steffen paper). This would help users a lot when trying to decide what method to use. Do you happen to have a dataset which shows a nice contrast like Figs 1, 3 and 8 from that paper?

When everything is ready I would be happy to add it to GSL, as we are already planning to update the interpolation module for the next release. When I find some time I want to import the 2D interpolation extension discussed previously, and also add Hermite interpolation.

It would be easiest for us if you could clone the GSL git repository and make your changes there. You could make a new branch called 'steffen' or something and publish it to github, or just send a patch file to me, whichever is easiest.

Patrick